Usual grants will be under £100 and no more than £350, but fair consideration will be given to all proposals.
Deadlines for applications
The fund will begin accepting applications from 1 January 2023.
The fund will be open all year round and claims under £150 will be assessed on a rolling basis (usually within two weeks) with larger requests processed on a quarterly basis.
Grants are awarded to all authors, by which we mean:
- Anyone who creates work for publication, broadcast or performance. You do not need to be a member to apply but you should meet our criteria for membership. You can find out more about this eligibility here
- Open to UK residents and British citizens.
Grants can be used for:
- Travel to events including overnight stays and subsistence.
- Childcare and carer support while attending an event, residency, or retreat.
- Travel, accommodation, and subsistence for a companion if one is required.
- Other access needs such as materials translated into an accessible format.
Grants cannot be used for:
- Events where an author has been invited to speak as these expenses should be covered by the organisation running the event.
- Course fees.
- If you are unsure if you are eligible please get in touch with email@example.com and we will be able to discuss your individual circumstances with you.
- We would generally prefer applicants to fund at least 25% of the cost themselves but applications for up to 100% of costs can be made.
- All travel and accommodation should be in line with the SoA Expense Policy and we will need electronic copies of all invoices/receipts.
- Grants of a smaller percentage may be awarded based on circumstances
For more information, visit The Society of Authors