This open call is for a British or UK-based curator to create and co-produce the next edition of PlayUK. We are looking for proposals from individuals or collectives for a programme to showcase, exchange knowledge and share new practices in the process of game-making that connects UK and Western Balkan creatives.
PlayUK is the British Council's platform for supporting creativity in digital art, offering access to new skills and knowledge that strengthens creative collaboration across art and technology. Previous editions of PlayUK have covered programming, gaming, virtual reality, augmented reality, animation, interactive and narrative design. You can learn more about previous editions of PlayUK here.
With this new edition of PlayUK we’re looking to showcase new work, intensify links between UK and Western Balkans, and provide learning and mentoring opportunities. All events of this edition of PlayUK will take place online and should consist of:
- Bi-weekly online workshops and talks: developing creative, technical and business skills appropriate for indie games and smaller teams. October 2020 – April 2021
- Online conference and showcase: profiling new work and practitioners in an inventive and engaging online format
- Mentorship programme: supporting practicitioners and small studios from the games development community in Western Balkans until end of March 2021
The appointed curator will:
- Design and curate a talks programme as a comprehensive learning journey
- Agree topics, engage and enable contact with speakers
- Design an online conference and showcase (date TBC before 31 March 2021);
- Design and implement a 10-hour consultation and mentorship programme for each of the 10 projects in development from Western Balkans/Wider Europe with UK mentors.
The selected curator will receive a £15,000 curator’s fee. British Council will also provide:
- Contracting and fees for the speakers (£500) and mentors (£2,500)
- Technical support for implementation of online programmes
- Access to Western Balkans network of speakers and professionals to complement the UK speaker programme of the conference
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS 10am BST, MONDAY 28 SEPTEMBER 2020
Please email your proposal or any questions to email@example.com. Your proposal, should include:
- Brief intro of you/your collective and experience in the field
- Initial proposal of bi-weekly talks programme with topics and names of speakers
- Online conference and showcase concept and content
- Proposal of mentorship approach and potential mentors