A thorough introduction to the fundamentals of drawing and painting, this course is specifically aimed at those with no prior experience.
Tutor: Dominic McIvor
Date: 20-24 July 2020, 9:30am - 4:30pm
Students will be introduced to ways of drawing using line, tone, proportion, form, composition and structure. The week will culminate with students learning the essentials of acrylic painting and working with colour. Through inspiring slide lectures students will be introduced to relevant artists such as Ellsworth Kelly, Richard Diebenkorn, Alberto Giacometti and Wayne Thiebaud. Tutor-led demonstrations and one-to-one tutorials will help students build up confidence working with materials, and expand their observational skills, approaches to mark making and image building. This course works well as a ‘primer’ before undertaking other Summer School courses.
All UK-based students will be provided with an A4 Leith School of Art sketchbook and set of 3 paintbrushes. These will be sent by post prior to the course. If booking within 3 days of the course start date we can not guarantee that these items will reach you in time for the beginning of the course. Students must source all other required materials and advice on suppliers will be provided upon booking. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about this.
- Selection of pencils (B, 2B, 4B, 6B)
- Charcoal (thin and thick)
- Basic set of oil pastels (2 yellows, 2 reds, 2 blues, ochre, brown and white)
- Acrylic paint (Cadmium Red, Crimson, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine, White)
- A2 pad of good quality cartridge paper*
* Contact us for our recommended supplier
SUMMER SCHOOL ONLINE
All courses require a computer or tablet device with:
- stable internet connection
- camera (for video calls and photographing your work)
- microphone (for video calls)
Courses will take place using Google Classroom, and are limited to 15 students to allow for quality one-to-one teaching.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.leithschoolofart.co.uk/course-info/374/online-drawing--painting-for-beginners
The deadline is Sunday 19 July 2020 at 17:00.