What are we looking for?
We are now looking for a UK based Artistic Advisor to lead on the artistic development of the next iteration of our digital exhibition platform Museum without Walls. The person could either be independent with their own companies or working for an arts institution.
- Have extensive curatorial experience and strong knowledge of British Contemporary art.
- Have led international visual arts programmes or exhibitions,
- A proven knowledge and interest in gender issues and female rights
- Have experience of curatorial mentoring and teaching. Project Management skills
- Demonstrate knowledge and interest in any of the following: digital arts, inclusivity and/or disability arts,
- Have excellent writing, editing and communicating skills.
The Artistic Advisor will work closely with Project Manager based in Turkey for delivery and will be responsible for shaping the artistic approach programme and mentoring the curators in their roles.
The UK supplier will be responsible for:
- Devising the open call text/content for the UK and Turkey curators and leading the selection process;
- Collaborating with Project Manager from British Council Turkey to set clear deliverables and deadline for curators;
- Mentoring the selected two curators to develop a joint concept and work;
- Curating jointly with the Project Manager an online weekly development plan for the two curators;
- Editing first round of exhibition texts (captions, concept, biographies)
- Signing-off final exhibition texts in English before translation
- Accepting to be a speaker or moderator at possible public events
This is not a full-time appointment and we anticipate that it will require an overall commitment of approximately 25 days starting in December 2020 and ending in May 2021 when the exhibition launches.
Museum without Walls has an existing programme structure. Though the UK supplier will not be responsible for overall programme design, British Council nonetheless welcomes suggestions of any improvements, changes or augmentations to the existing programme outline.
Due to the effect of the Covid-19 pandemic we do not foresee any international travel. In case of a positive change in the pandemic situation we might be able to organise international travel opportunities where the British Council will cover visa fees, flights, accommodation and per diems.
£5,000 (VAT included)
3-25 November – Open call for Artistic Advisor
December – Open call for UK and Turkey curators
January – March 2021 – Concept development, mentoring, content delivery
Late April – Exhibition launch
*The timeline is subject to change
How to apply
The candidates should provide the below documents:
- a short biography highlighting previous experience in leading international visual arts programmes,
- letter of motivation explaining suitability for the role
- personal statement on the importance of Diversity and İnclusion in visual arts (no more than 250 words)
to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject
“Application for Museum without Walls - (Your Name)"
Deadline for applications is 25 November 23.59 GMT (You will receive a confirmation once your submission is confirmed)
Click here for more information.