Launched in 2019, Supported is intended to widen access to participation in the festival by providing funding, production and curatorial support to successful applicants. We are committed to the aim of celebrating and promoting the creativity in our area and with 43% of Lewisham’s population constituting POC groups, this opportunity is aimed specifically at early career POC artists and curators based in the London borough of Lewisham. Applications from people based outside of our local borough will also be considered, provided they can demonstrate how their work will resonate with our geographical context.
Contributions are welcome from artists or curators of any kind. This year’s festival is an outdoor art trail so we are looking for proposals that can be exhibited, performed, or installed outside for the duration of the 10 day festival from 9th – 18th July.
We encourage applications that creatively respond to this year’s starting point, Art in the Open. Deptford X 2021 seeks to bring art and creativity out into the open to create joy and healing in our communities in the wake of the pandemic.
All successful applicants will receive mentoring and curatorial support throughout the process and will also be invited to join Deptford X’s Supported Peer Network for POC artists through which you will be able to access further opportunities and mentoring beyond the festival.
Artist Fee: £600
Artwork Production Budget: £800
A longlist of applications will be reviewed by a guest selection panel who will consider the concept, quality and cost of each project before selecting the finalists. Finalists will be invited to Deptford X [Either in person or via Zoom, depending on what is possible /meets government guidelines] for interview by the Deptford X team, following which the three Deptford X Supported projects will be chosen.
- Supported is only open to Black and People of Colour artists.
- Artists must be resident in the Borough of Lewisham.
- The festival’s core projects will be installed from Friday 2nd July ready for the festival which runs from Friday 9th – Sunday 18th July.
- All successful Supported applicants must be willing and available to participate in public talks and tours during the festival period as required.
- Well-conceived and thought-out projects – this is both in terms of concept but also in terms of practical construction and installation process.
- Projects that are rooted in the fabric of our neighbourhoods and the people who live and work within them.
- Can provide a clear sense of how the work allows for public interaction and/or can explain the intended impact for audiences.
- We reserve the right to decline any project that we deem discriminatory, offensive or contrary to our values.
We define values as principles of behaviour and/or judgements of what is important.
Our organisational values are: art, learning, care, respect, openness and equality.
For those who applied for our Supported programme before the pandemic in 2020, your applications will still be reviewed – however we ask that if your proposal is not suitable for the outdoors, that you revise your application by the deadline date.
The deadline for applications is Midnight, Sunday 16 May. Applications received after this date will not be included.
We welcome applications from those with different access needs and have an access budget available for successful applicants that require it. We also welcome applications by video or audio recording.
If you would like to apply in this way or discuss other application requirements, please contact the Deptford X team for further guidance on: email@example.com