D Contemporary is pleased to invite submissions for our annual summer exhibition. Through this year’s theme Approaches, we are looking to demonstrate the diverse range of styles and techniques contemporary artists employ, with particular reference to changing perspectives on how Britain sees itself. Exploring ideas of method, media and practice, Approaches examine what it means to operate as an artist within our fast-paced and multi-cultural society, addressing the changes that Britain faces during 2019 in both political and societal contexts. What unique perspectives do artists bring to these topics in their work and how do these intersect with contemporary ways of thinking? Through Approaches, we aim to discover what makes creativity individual and how art is key to portraying and addressing modern life in Britain.
D Contemporary seeks to combine a selection of artists that have previously exhibited in the Gallery together with new talent, creating a show that explores how the gallery has evolved since opening its doors three years ago.
We are interested in art works of any form and the judging panel will curate the exhibition best suited to our unique position in the heart of Mayfair. We invite artists to submit up to 5 images of their work for consideration. The judging panel will review all submissions once entry has closed and select works for the exhibition. Depending on size and scale of the work, the panel may select from 1 to 5 of the pieces you submit. If selected there will be a fee of £250 per artist to participate, this goes towards the costs of the exhibition and provides you with all the benefits listed below. The exhibition will run for a month from 28th May – 4th July at our gallery in 23 Grafton Street, Mayfair.
Benefits we offer:
- Inclusion in the Mayfair Art Weekend 2019 and all associated promotion and events
- Opening night (“Private View”) event (drinks reception, wine/beer/soft drinks, canapés) with waiting staff, prepared by our in-house chef
- Exposure to Mayfair’s audience and gallery street in the heart of London’s fine art district
- Artist name on the front window of 23 Grafton St. and on all promotional materials (digital and print)
- 250 printed invitations and/or exhibition leaflets and price lists - Professionally designed digital catalogue, printed catalogue at an extra cost
- Photography and videography coverage of the Private View and artists’ promo videos in the exhibition space
- Promotion of the artist/ exhibition on D Contemporary’s website and social media accounts
- Curatorial support and assistance with exhibition planning and associated administration
- Handling of sales, including invoicing and shipping arrangements – with a 40% handling commission on sales
- Management of set up and take down (the artists/ handlers need to be present on both days)
D Contemporary is seeking applications from artists of all media. We do not charge for submissions. We advise that you take a look at the gallery space on our website to familiarise yourself with the space before submitting. The selected artists will be contacted the w/c 22 April 2019.
We are taking submissions through CuratorSpace however, if you would prefer to email your submission please follow the instructions below:
Please include the following in your application:
- Up to 5 images of works with details of medium, dimensions and price.
- Artist statement, bio or CV.
- Any relevant website or social media links.
Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and submitted by 5pm on Wednesday 10th April 2019. Please include ‘Approaches’ in the subject line.