BHM Live: Launchpad is an initiative which seeks to support emerging artists from the African and African Caribbean Diaspora based in the UK. The initiative works across all art forms to mentor and share their ideas, and showcase their work. For BHM Live: Launchpad 2021, the commission seeks to support artists to navigate new multifaceted ways of working by developing a project that translated across a print magazine, online content and venue based work.
BHM Live: Launchpad is offering four artists:
- Support and mentorship from industry leads throughout the process.
- The opportunity to showcase new work for Black History Month Leicester (October 2021) which will feature as part of BlackInk magazine and online.
- £1000 commission to support the development of the new work.
- Resources to support with pitching and marketing.
- Opportunities to build industry network.
To be considered for the BHM Live: Launchpad programme each artist will need to:
- Be an independent artist from the African and African Caribbean Diaspora and based in the UK (this includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and British Isles).
- Complete the BHM Live application form demonstrating a track record of producing quality work which is innovative, diverse and suitable for this platform.
- Submit photographs, video clips, web links, images or documents that evidence existing work.
- Be in a position to complete an artistic commission by the end of August 2021.
- Be available for artistic mentorship sessions (via Skype/Zoom) throughout June-November 2021.
Following the success of Lauchpad in 2020, Serendipity are looking to commission up to four artists to create work for that will feature as part of the 2021 edition of BlackInk, a magazine for Black History Month Leicester exploring art, heritage and cultural politics. As a multifaceted platform, the magazine is available in print and online, alongside a supporting showcase of digital content and physical exhibition/sharing (government guidance dependent).
Serendipity are looking for proposals that would be suitable for publication in a print magazine but also can be creatively adapted for online formats and potentially for a venue based work.
Previous examples have included; a poetry and dance film that breaks down into text and stills, a comic book and animation, a series of illustrations with a time-lapse of their creation that could be featured in print or in an exhibition, and a series of photographs with audio interviews with each sitter. Applicants are encouraged to be creative and innovative with their ideas. Selected artists will be mentored throughout the process.
Applications should be submitted by completing the google docs application form.
Application form: https://forms.gle/e4hVsF5eyRhpvidAA
A word template is available to support drafting applications or where a word document version is preferred for access, where it can be email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Launchpad 2021”.
Please also consider completing an optional monitoring form which helps Serendipity to provide accurate data on who is engaging with us and our work and to ensure that we are providing equality of access for all, to see where gaps need to be addressed and to take positive action.
Monitoring form: https://forms.gle/wo6ejtoFpEhYXm1P9