The most significant award for emerging artists working in the field of sculpture in the UK: offering £8,000 in financial support towards the making of new work and a solo show in 2019.
Applications open on 1 January 2018 and close 31 March 2018
The Mark Tanner Sculpture Award is unique in its combination of offering both financial support towards the production of new work and a solo exhibition to an exceptional emerging sculptor. We seek to reward outstanding and innovative practice in the field of sculpture and are particularly interested in work that demonstrates a commitment to process and materials.
There is no age limit, applicants will be judged on the quality of their work and the ability of the award to make beneficial impact on their practice and future development. The financial award to assist in the production of a new body of work is £8,000, made in 3 payments over the course of the year, at the end of which there will be a solo exhibition at Standpoint Gallery.
Standpoint will maintain a supportive, mentoring role over the twelve month period of the award, including studio visits to discuss progress towards the exhibition.
The selection panel
The selection panel for the 2018/19 award is:
Clare Lilley Director of Programme, Yorkshire Sculpture Park
Cathie Pilkington RA artist
Frances Richardson MTSA winner 2017
Rebecca Scott artist / Mark Tanner Trust
The panel will be chaired by Michael Taylor, director of Standpoint
Applicants must be established residents of the UK. We are now able to accept applications from all artists based in the UK. Students in current education are not eligible to apply. This applies to BA and MA students or equivalent, but NOT to those undertaking postgraduate research work leading to a PhD/Mphil/MLitt/ MRes or equivalent.
Links to the application portal will be available from Standpoint’s website from the 1 Jan 2018
Selection will be made in two stages:
-All applicants must complete the online application.
- You will be required to pay a fee of £18.00 to enter (this goes towards the costs of the selection procedure).
- Please note: no other information will be viewed.
- Interviews for shortlisted artists will be held at Standpoint on Thursday 26 April 2018
-We will ask shortlisted artists to make a short presentation about their work, followed by questions from the panel. We will request further documentation of your practice where necessary.
- References will be taken up prior to interview, for shortlisted artists only.
- Travel expenses (best price available) will be reimbursed for shortlisted applicants.
- Please note: the interview date is fixed, so please ensure sure you are able to attend. No other dates or arrangements can be made, unavailability will lead to a withdrawal from the selection process.
For more information about the application process, and previous MTSA winners, visit www.standpointlondon.co.uk/mtsa/index.php